Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Day in The Life of a Major League Soccer Player: Ben Sippola

To start off this post, I would first like to congratulate Jake Gibbons on being offered a professional contract in Europe. I have known and played with Jake for a good part of the last decade and he is very deserving of such an honor and accomplishment. It is great to see other Minnesotan's getting a shot at the next level. Congrats to Jake and his family.

So, I thought since most youth soccer players in Minnesota rarely get the chance to interact with professional soccer players (at least I was rarely given this opportunity), I would give a sort of run down of what my average day consists of as a professional footballer. I have been with the Columbus Crew for the past five months and my daily routine has been fairly consistent for the majority of that time, excluding the first two months of preseason where I lived out of a suitcase in various hotels across the country. Here is how I employ the twenty-four hours of a natural day.

7:45 am- Wake up and eat breakfast. Breakfast usually consists of something high in carbohydrates with some protein. My favorite choice is oatmeal with fruit and yogurt. Most of my teammates eat a small breakfast. The guy I carpool with eats a bag of fruit snacks and two granola bars on the road. I like to eat something hearty to sustain my energy for practice.

8:45 am- Report to the training facility. Practices usually begin at 10:00 am and the standard time for all players to report is 9:15 am, however I like to get to practice early. This allows me to get in any treatment that I might need and some extra ball work before the organized practice begins.

9:30 am-10:00 am- By this time most players are out on the field and ready to practice. Common activities during this time are soccer tennis and 5 v 2.

10:00 am-11:30 am- Coaches report to the field and official practice begins. Practices are usually about 75 to 90 minutes in length and consist of a dynamic warm up intermixed with passing drills, moving to small sided possession with goals in tight, and ending with a large field game and crossing and finishing.

11:30 am-11:45 am- During this time, I like to stay after practice and do some extra work, shooting, passing, dribbling, etc.

12:00 pm-12:45 pm- Team Video Session with coaching staff. During this time we watch video of ourselves and our opponents. The club usually provides lunch for the players at this time from Subway, City BBQ, and KING GYRO. On days where we do not watch video this time is usually allocated for a team lifting session run by the training staff.

1:00 pm- Team obligations are terminated and players can go home. This is also the time to get any extra treatment. I usually hang around to do some final stretching.

2:00pm-5:00pm- Down time. I like to go fly fishing or take a nap. Today I did both.

6:00 pm- Dinner. I eat Chipotle too much.

7:00 pm-8:00pm- Second work out. About 4 times a week I like to do a second work out outside of training. This workout is very light and usually consists of injury prevention exercises like stretching and yoga.

8:00 pm- Bedtime- Sometimes I go fishing again, haha. However most of the time, I like to just hang out watch TV, blog, call home to Minnesota, hang out with friends etc.

So, that is an average day in the life of Ben Sippola. As you can see professional athletes have a lot of downtime. The challenge is finding something productive to do during this time and to not fall into a monotonous lifestyle. I am definitely working on that aspect of my life, lately I have been coaching a soccer team made up of refugee children in the Columbus area and I have also been coaching Ohio ODP. I have also been perfecting my fly fishing cast.

Thanks for tuning in and for those of you lucky enough to be living and fishing in the Land O' 10 Thousand Lakes,

Tight Lines,

Sip


4 comments:

tomASS said...

I think a great idea to give the young ones a look at the daily activities of a professional soccer player and the commitment it takes

The big question though.........
where you wetting your line in the Columbus area?

Anonymous said...

I love the showing up to training early and staying late like you (and sounds like most of your teammates) are doing...sounds like you actually enjoy being at training...which is unlike most young players in MYSA (show up late, can't wait to leave).

Jealous of your opportunity - don't get fat eating too many burritos.

Great post.

Mister Soccer said...

Interesting stuff, especially, "The guy I carpool with eats a bag of fruit snacks and two granola bars on the road." Awesome.

Requests:

1. Regarding your next match day (preferably televised), can you provide some insight into the goings-on for the team (match prep, tactical prep, travel, anything interesting)? Without leaking secrets, obviously.

2. When looking at the Crew roster (or the MLS in general), I wonder which players are highly regarded that the public doesn't always hear about (or don't hear about enough). For example, which player dominates in Crew training sessions or which Crew player is really THE BEST or MOST SKILLED player. Or which player in the league does the Crew really have to game plan around or hate facing.

Anonymous said...

10pm go to work